- 2 large beetroot, peeled & diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup full fat natural yoghurt
- 1 handful chopped coriander
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 cm piece ginger, grated
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 green chilis, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1/4 bunch chopped coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon carraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 150 ml ghee or olive oil to cook with
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds to garnish
- Place all ingredients except the ghee into a large bowl and mix, gradually adding 300–400ml cold water, until the batter mix is spoonable but still loose. Only add water just before cooking pancakes as chickpea flour becomes gluey, add more water if necessary.
- Heat the pan over medium heat, add ghee, then one dessert spoonful of the batter till fill the pan but leaving space between.
- Cook for about 35–40 seconds then gently lift out with a palette knife to check if it is golden brown. If so, flip over and cook the other side till golden.
- Continue this process until all the batter is finished.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Place beetroot and onion into a bowl and mix with spices, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper and oil.
- Place onto baking dish lined with foil and baking paper, wrap and bake until softened (approx. 25-30 minutes.)
- Allow to cool slightly before placing into food processor and blend until smooth, then add yoghurt & chopped coriander, taste for seasoning.