- 1 cup yellow split pea lentils
- 2 -3 cups chicken / veg stock or water (vegan)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder or 2 teas freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons Indian 5 spice (see below)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 bunch coriander chopped
Indian 5 Spice
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon nigella seeds (also called black cumin or kalonji)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
- Cook the lentils in stock with turmeric until cooked through, lid on for approx. 15-20mins.
- Add pumpkin and cook until the pumpkin is tender.
- Add the coconut milk, stir and simmer.
- In a separate pan heat oil.
- Add 5 spice and red onion and fry until the onion is soft, & spices are aromatic, then add green chili.
- Add onion mix to cooked lentils and pumpkin, with salt & pepper and more water or stock, if needed for desired consistency-lentils have broken down and is creamy and thick in texture.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with brown rice, yoghurt & flatbread.
5 Spice Method
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl to store in an airtight container.
- Depending on what kind of dish you make with this mixture, it can either be fried briefly in oil or dry roasted to release the flavours.